Off Road RC Cars for Sale in the UK
An off-road remote controlled car can be one of the most thrilling and exciting hobbies to nurture. You can take it up as a recreational activity or even pursue RC car racing as a legitimate career.
If you are looking to buy a good off-road remote controlled car, the following sections will help you look for a good one. You can also take a look at some of the cars that have been reviewed below:
Things to Consider before Buying an Off-Road Remote-Controlled Car
A remote-controlled car is not the cheapest investment one could make. Often, enthusiasts save up money to buy a high-end and efficient RC car. But if you are spending the kind of money you are, then all factors should be perfect. There are a few things to think about when buying an off-road remote-controlled. The following are some of the factors you may want to think about:
The durability of the RC controlled is one of the most important things to consider. Since you will be using the vehicle to go off-roading, it should be able to navigate difficult terrain without the body or the interiors of the car getting damaged.
The durability, of course, will be dictated by the design of the car. It should have a strong and resilient chassis to protect the interiors and preferably even resilient tyres that can take a lot of beating. It should also have working differentials in the form of bumpers in the front and back so the car is protected in the event of a collision.
If you are using the RC car for racing, then speed is one of the most important factors to consider. It would be preferred if the car has two-speed automatic gears that allow you to get high acceleration on the first gear and then switch to the next gear to achieve top speed. If you are racing with an RC car and it does not achieve the desired speeds, then there is no thrill in using that car.
The size of the car is, of course, one of the most important things. There are various sizes available in the market so you can pick one that suits your needs. Whether you get a model that is 1:8 scale or 1:18 scale, it needs to be powerful and resilient. Sure, the size of the car may impact its performance, but there should not be too drastic of a compromise.
Any off-roading vehicle needs to have an efficient set of shocks that allow it to navigate difficult terrain and have the flexibility to absorb shocks. Most RC cars in the market have oil-filled shocks. It would also be preferred if the oil-shocks are aluminium capped. You should also be able to adjust the angle and the tension of the shocks.
The 5 Best Off-Road Remote Controlled Cars Reviewed
The following is a review of some of the best off-road remote-controlled cars in the market. The reviewed cars include electric as well as nitro options. The features, pros and cons of each of the cars have duly been mentioned.
The HSP 1/8th Scale 4WD Off-Road Nitro Monster RC Truck is an excellent option for those looking for resilient and durable off-road remote-controlled cars. This is a large and powerful truck that does not compromise on speed.
It is a 1:8 scale nitro monster truck that comes with a two-speed automatic gearbox. It has a durable build and boasts a solid aluminium chassis and even has an extra-large fuel tank. The following are some of the features, pros and cons of the RC car:
- This is a 1:8 scale truck that measures 521 mm x 380 mm x 250 mm (L x W x H).
- The car has a compact bumper on the front as well as the rear which protects in the event of a collision.
- The car has an SH .21 nitro engine, made in Taiwan, that has a polished aluminium exhaust and ensures superior quality.
- The oil-filled shocks have an adjustable aluminium cap that is mounted on aluminium towers. This provides you with a better position to adjust the angle of the shocks.
- This is a four-wheel-drive system that makes it perfect for driving off-road. The four-wheel system also allows the vehicle to have more control while turning corners.
- The vehicle uses 2.4 GHz radio technology which is a new and more trustworthy technology than the traditional FM equipment. This allows you to use multiple RC cars in the same area without the frequency being interrupted.
- As mentioned above, the vehicle has an aluminium chassis. But the chassis design also has countersunk screws that protect the interiors from possible damage from bumpy terrain.
- The sealed two-speed automatic gearbox provides fast acceleration already in the first gear. The second gear takes you to even higher speed potentials.
- The assembly and use instructions are limited and the manual is not very informative.
- The front axle is of questionable quality, some customers have reported.
Another entrant from HSP’s 1:8 series, the Rock Crawler—2.4 GHz is a radio-controlled off-road truck that offers several thrills. As the name suggests, the Rock Crawler has been designed such that it can navigate various difficult terrains and rock formations. The following are some of the features, pros and cons of the remote-controlled car:
- The RC car has a 1:8 scale and measures 645 mm x 225 mm x 375 mm (LxHxW).
- It has two powerful 540 brushed motors. The twin motors are useful for navigating difficult and rugged terrain.
- The car features adjustable extra-long aluminium oil-filled shocks which have also been installed over aluminium towers, allowing you to adjust the angle with ease.
- The car also features off-road climbing tyres. There are 18 screws that fix the chrome-plated beadlock in place. No matter how rough the terrain, the tyre and the wheel rim will not separate.
- There is a solid aluminium chassis that protects the interiors of the car and allows it to climb over the most difficult terrains.
- There is an independent and front and rear gearbox which makes it easier for the vehicle to climb over difficult rocks without losing power.
- It also has solid aluminium side guards that protect the car from being bashed up even in difficult off-roading experiences.
- The battery has been fixed properly with a plate set. However, while it is secure, you can also move it easily if you need to take it out.
- The gearbox can be a little difficult to use, making the remote-controlled car suitable for more experienced users.
- You may have to upgrade some of the parts to get the optimal use out of the car.
If there is one animal that can navigate various types of difficult terrain without any physical harm, it is the lizard. This car is also named after this resilient creature as it can drive through various terrain, whether an arid desert or a sharp rock formation.
The Lizard is a 1:18 scale model and even has a mini replica of a driver. This may be a small vehicle but it packs a serious punch. The following are some of the features, pros and cons of the vehicle:
- This is a 1:18 scale model that measures 295 mm x 168 mm x 115 mm (LxWxH).
- It features a miniature replica of a driver and also has a spare tyre as a full-scale off-roading vehicle would.
- The vehicle features a four-wheel-drive system with working differentials. The front and rear differentials are especially useful for better control while cornering.
- The vehicle features aluminium-capped oil-filled shocks. The angle and the tension of the shocks are adjustable so you can fix it according to your driving style and the terrain you are navigating.
- This may be a small vehicle, but it has a sturdy plastic chassis that is equipped with countersunk screws that make the remote-controlled car extremely durable and strong.
- It has a special servo horn structure that does a great job of protecting the servo from external damage.
- The RC car also boasts splash-proof electronics that keep the crucial electrical parts safe, even if you happen to run over a small puddle.
- Given its size, the RC car also consumes less power and has an easy repair system.
- There have been some complaints about the battery not lasting too long when you use the car at full speed. You may have to purchase a separate battery.
- If you are looking for a larger model, this is not the choice for you.
The HSP Gladiator is a 1:10 scale car that has a spectacular exterior, with its bright yellow flames on the body of the car. This is a nitro radio-controlled truggy (buggy meets a truck) that offers great and thrilling performance. This is a great RC car for off-roading, though it performs just as well on the road. The following are some of the features, pros and cons of the car:
- The car has a 1:10 scale and measures 400 mm x 160 mm x 300 mm (LxHxW).
- The car has adjustable aluminium-capped oil-filled shocks that can easily be adjusted to a customized angle and tension since it is mounted on 3 mm aluminium towers.
- It has strong .18 nitro engine that is made in Taiwan and boasts of excellent quality.
- There is an extra-large 75 cc fuel tank that comes with a splash guard, allowing you to get more time on the (off)road and less time refuelling.
- There is an enclosed radio box that stores the splash-proof receiver, protecting the equipment from rain or minor accidents involving liquids.
- The car uses a two-speed automatic gearbox, where the first gear provides faster acceleration while the second gear allows you to cruise at the top speed.
- The vehicle has a solid anodized aluminium chassis that has countersunk screws that ensures a flush surface.
- The car has impact-resistant wheels that are wrapped with high-traction all-terrain truggy tyres.
- The car can be a bit hard to start and takes a little getting used to.
- Some customers have had to switch out to an electric starter as the pull broke easily.
The HSP Electric RC Truck has a pro brushless design and boasts incredible speed. It has all the features that one might expect to find on a standard truck, including a brushless motor, working differentials and aluminium oil-filled shocks. The following are some of the features, pros and cons of the RC car:
- This is a 1:10 scale truck and measures 400 mm x 300 mm x 160 mm (LxWxH).
- The car has a waterproof servo, ESC and receiver which is very useful in case you drive over a puddle or if the racing track is wet.
- It has an efficient 3300 KV brushless motor that delivers much faster speeds than a standard brushed motor.
- There is also a brushless ESC connected to the motor that comes with its own cooling fan and maintains the temperature of the vehicle while it is in use.
- The car features twin aluminium oil-filled shocks. Depending on your driving preference and the terrain on which you are driving, you can adjust the angle and tension of the shocks.
- The car has anti-skid tyres that have been specially treaded—perfect for on and off-roading.
- The car has a four-wheel-drive system that improves off-road performance and provides better grip while cornering.
- In case of a crash, there are spring-loaded front and rear bumpers that protect the vehicle.
- Some customers have complained that the front axle had to be replaced after only a few weeks of use.
- This is a decent vehicle, but only good for a beginner or light use.
The off-road remote-controlled cars that have been reviewed above are some of the best in the market. There are both electric and nitro models that have been picked out, allowing you to choose from different design elements.
These cars have incredible off-road performance and you are likely to find something you like from the items that have been reviewed.